Friday 9 March 2012

Fedger's Fiddlin': Dark Sacrifice


Hi there.  Welcome to the second edition of Fedger’s Fiddlin’.  This time around I’ll be having a look at tuning up Dark Sacrifice’s efficiency, focus and consistency.  Like last time, I follow 4 rules to keep the deck balanced at the Kitchen table:
1.      The deck may contain up to 4 rares.
2.      Of the 4 rares, 1 may be mythic.
3.      Only a single copy of each rare is allowed.
4.       The deck must be legal for Standard.

The cards in Dark Sacrifice can roughly be divided into three groups; Fodder, Sac Outlets, Beneficiaries.  The fodder contains all creatures that give us a benefit when they die, i.e. Doomed Traveler.  Sac outlets are cards that allow us to ‘sacrifice a creature’ for benefit such as the Skirsdag Flayer.  Beneficiaries are creatures that do not cause the deaths of our creatures but benefit from them like Village Cannibals.  Then there’s everything else which can be put into a fourth group; ‘Support’.

Fodder
I want cheaper and more numerous fodder. For this reason I am losing both Elgaud Inquisitors, Mausoleum Guard and both Elder Cathars.  The elder cathar does give a nice bonus on his way out; but his price tag of three mana is enough to put me off.  I don’t want to pay that much for a creature I plan to sacrifice.   The fodder must be human so Lingering Souls is out.

To fill the gap in the Fodder package I’ll add a Gather the Townsfolk, 2 Doomed Travelers, Thraben Doomsayer, a Selfless Cathar and an Increasing Devotion.  Selfless Cathar, although not technically fodder, has been included as he’s so cheap.  1 Mana is a good price for fodder and his ability will come in handy on occasion.

Sac Outlets
Not too much change here as I’m mostly happy with it. 

Dropping from this group will be the Fiend of the Shadows (she’ll probably sit on the sideboard for playing against W/B decks) and Disciple Of Griselbrand (I’m not a fan of lifegain and would rather have aggressive sac outlets.)  I’ll also be dropping one Falkenrath Torturer in favour of a Skirsdag Flayer.

Coming in to replace these is an extra Altar’s Reap (for lovely card draw) and a Ravenous Demon.

Beneficiaries
Not much change here either; I’m happy with the Unruly Mobs and the Village CannibalsGalvanic Juggernaut performed admirably in the playtest so he’s earned his spot for now.  I will, after giving it much thought, be dropping the Champion of the Parish.  He’s a great card and fits well from a purely mechanic viewpoint.  You’ll never be disappointed to see him in your opening hand, but for me he doesn’t quite fit with the feel of the deck.  Plus I need him to make room for the Skirsdag High Priest! With the amount of sacrificing and tokens knocking about, shouldn’t find it too hard to summon us a demon most turns.

Support
That just leaves support, for starters I’m getting rid of the expensive Death’s Caresses, the unrelated Night Terrors and Avacyn’s Collar.  I’ll also be dropping the recursion (Unburial Rites, Gravepurge).  In favour of a playset of the brilliant Tragic Slip and a playset of Bonds of Faith.  The latter being a nice flexible Pacifism for our enemies or Giant Strength for our humans – though I’ll probably keep a playset of pacifisms on the sideboard in-case my opponent uses a Humans deck.

Land
With no mana fixing I’m going to take out the Haunted Fengraf and make the land count 13 Plains, 11 Swamp.

The final list looks like this:

13 Plains
11 Swamp

There it is! I dub this deck: “Lather the Townsfolk.”  Not the soapy definition of lather, the other one. (Look it up, I did).

I’ll be playtesting Lather the Townsfolk this week and will post the results either next friday or the friday after.  I recently went to my first draft event and want to write a post on that while it's still fresh(ish) in my mind - so that may come first.

Cheers for reading!
Fedger

No comments:

Post a Comment